Scuba diving is becoming more and more popular in Latvia and more and more people, including women, have dived under the ice, says niršanas treneris Valters Preimanis, who trains divers in the Riga district, on an ice diving specialty course PADI ICE Diver:
"Ice diving is one of the most exciting and adrenaline-filled types of diving. It is the most demanding of the diving methods, because the diver enters the world of ice with one entrance to the ice, through which it also returns. The water is clearer, you see 5-10 times further than in summer, because the floating underwater particles have sunk to the bottom. The air bubbles rise up and then all merge into one. The heat of the adrenaline gradually subsides and the cold gradually subsides, the hands feel first and the diver's head appears over the algae after 30 minutes. "
One of the few women in Latvia who dives under the ice in winter
Until recently, LIVA was one of the few women in Latvia who engaged in winter diving. One of her disciplines, so to speak, is ice diving. In winter, the world of water is like a slow motion movie - fish glide past apathetically, light falls in the water differently and thoughts float more calmly.
Līva, who dived in the ice, shared her experience
I started diving because I have claustrophobia and fear of water. So I decided to overcome myself by trying something new. In the summer I went to the first diving lesson. After the first time, it seemed that I would never return to classes. However, since I had already paid for all five lessons, the greed did its (laughs) and I decided to use the remaining times as well.
I started diving because I have claustrophobia and fear of water. So I decided to overcome myself by trying something new. In the summer I went to the first diving lesson. After the first time, it seemed that I would never return to classes. However, since I had already paid for all five lessons, the greed did its laughs and I decided to use the remaining times as well.
At what point did you overcome the fear, considering that you did not swim very well?
- You don't have to be a sports swimmer to dive. In fact, to dive, you may not know how to swim, because this swimming technique is completely different. Under water is not at all scary. It is most difficult to get used to the peculiarities of breathing, because at first it seems that you can suffocate or not be able to breathe.
And how did your passion for winter diving start?
- When the seasons change, I don't stop diving. I continued to do it in the autumn, which slowly turned into winter - ice appeared. Then I realized that it would be especially awful to rain under the ice, because, as I said, I have claustrophobia and the feeling of closed space under the ice is pronounced. A sense of security is needed to dive under the ice. Diving has a term like badijs- this is the person you dive with. My hunger was experienced, one I could count on. Secondly, you are always tied up on a rope when diving - this is also an additional feeling of security.
- But the first time the feelings under the ice remember?
It is a completely different world. Feeling like an ice cave. The colors are completely different, but the visibility in the water is very good. Although it seems to be dark, it is not at all. I have happened to run into a super-large pike. It's not very pleasant. When diving under the ice, the adrenaline is higher. But I generally like winter diving - the ice does not necessarily have to cover a body of water. In winter, there are few divers in popular places and fish are not chased. So I see no reason not to continue diving as the seasons change. For those who have not dived in winter, it seems to be cold. Of course not. There is a special costume for winter. Like skiing. In winter, we also wear warm clothes to ski.
- In winter, the underwater world is calmer?
From the magazine "Santa" in January 2020.
If you want to try ice diving, apply, available to all club divers and those interested!
- It is possible to settle PADI ICE diver certificate,
- Instructor briefing,
- Proper breathing technique,
- Signals and sign language and preparation for winter ice diving,
- Available full equipment rental, balloons, including dry suit rental DrySuit.
- Log on to WhatsApp / Phone 220-77-202.